Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sky Watch Friday - Contrails

Contrails and wires, March 22, 2009

This week I decided to focus on contrails rather than other sky features. We live under the flight path of planes leaving Baltimore to points west and by the time they fly over, the outbound planes are high enough to create contrails. (Inbound flights are too low.) On Tuesday I spotted a contrail with the unusual (at least for me) condition of casting a shadow on the clouds above it. So I went back through my archives for more contrails and selected two taken in March, one in May and the last two this month. There is a companion image of the last one on Lew's Pics.

Bird, sky and contrail, March 27, 2009

Contrail and cloud, May 23, 2009

Contrails and moon, October 11, 2009

Contrail to the sun, October 20, 2009

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I also live near and airport and I'm disappointed when contrails show up in my photos. You've shown it may be better to embrace contrails than to try to avoid them.

Sylvia K said...

Oh, yes! Your contrails look so much like ours here in Seattle! I love to watch them and see how they can vary and change so quickly! Great shots, Lew!

Enjoy your weekend!

Sylvia

Unknown said...

Nice contrails, Lew. I like contrails in my sky photos, especially sunsets because the reflect the colours in a slightly different way from the clouds adding interest.

Guy D said...

You never disappoint Lew, great shots.

All the best
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Photo Cache said...

Lovely shots, the second one is my favorite.

Erin said...

great captures lew of the contrails. especially like the last one :)
have a wonderful weekend.

eileeninmd said...

Great series of photos, thanks for sharing your skies and contrails.

storyteller said...

Lovely captures on the theme! These views look familiar to me since I'm near three airports ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

Gerald (SK14) said...

doodles in the sky my wife calls them - they change so quickly that often I prefer to just watch them rather than the fiddle with the camera and try and capture them.

Rune Eide said...

I see the first picture was taken in the evening, so you must have had a low sun. Nice catch!

Tom said...

Hi Lew...
Sorry I'm late, Friday is a busy day... I try to get as much as I done before the grandchildren come... Friday night we have one stopping and Saturuday 3... so blogging becomes harder to get done.. :O)
I like to capture these contrails... we see loads overhead here.... at night it is possible to see around 15 aircraft at a time... all going one way or another... there seems to be no proper order to them but we all know different.
Tom

Victoria Tsavdaridou said...

Nice shot, thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Fabulous series!

Anonymous said...

dummies conventional estate bramley phenomenal sacrifice hazel reminded opening neighbors blankwww
semelokertes marchimundui