Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sky Watch Friday - Weather vanes

David of authorblog asked if we still see weather vanes. I expected to see some on the barns in Frederick's rural areas, but spotted few in my travels since his post. I actually found more in town. Here are three. The one above is on a small, rural church near our house. The one below is on an older house in the City of Frederick. The oval has "1895" on it which I would guess is the year the house was built. (Another view of this one was posted June 21, 2008. The last vane is on the garage of a relatively new home. That image was taken the same day as my wet images posted for My World Tuesday.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much more picturesque than the sensors that we use these days to track the weather.

Rune Eide said...

I didn't know weather wanes were going out of style. These are very nice examples and I hope they keep them up.

We have some giant ones place on top of a pair of mountains, meant for the ships of old. Now they are mainly for tradition and tourists.

Unseen India Tours said...

What An Interesting Picture!! I Really Enjoyed The Blog !! Thanks For Sharing,,

Tom said...

Hi Lew
Love the weather vanes. and the windows below this.. I called to say thank you for taking the time to vist and comment on my Sky Watch post today.. I will now spend some time checking out your blog... I do like your pictures.

Have a good weekend
Tom
My blogs: Wiggers World and Pictures & Words

Michele said...

I haven't seen any around here but it's a small community and perhaps if I go out towards the farming area, there might be a few, I would have to see if I can find any.

You have some really nice ones here!

Lynne said...

Hi Lew,
Nice to see your self-portrait in your sidebar.
These weather vane shots are crisp- nicely done!- and your commentary teaches me a lot.

Just a Texas Gal said...

I really enjoyed seeing the weather vanes. I don't see them here very often, but I will definately start looking for them more often.