Monday, August 16, 2010

My World - A touch of England

Grandson Chris and I went downtown on August 7 for the Frederick First Saturday celebration. The official theme was "dog days of August" and "well behaved and leashed" canines were welcome at most places. The VW clubs displayed their older vehicles (posted on Lew's pics) and there were several music groups performing.

However, there was also a touch of England represented. The American Traveling Morrice, a group of Morris Dancers, get together one week each summer to take Morris dancing to another part of the USA. During the year they perform in their respective communities (some of the touring group are from outside the USA). This year they made a swing through the Baltimore/Washington area, with their last stop in Frederick. Chris and I caught the end of one of their performances and I could not get shots of their footwork from the back of the crowd.



The dancers were performing again later down by Carroll Creek. And a few shops away from the dance is a permanent touch of merry old England.

5 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Looks like a fun touch of England to me! Love the Morris Dancers! Great shots for the day, Lew! Hope your week is off to a good start! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Wow, Morris Dancers... a rare sight in England these days unfortunately. Great shots!

Rune Eide said...

I have heard and read about Morris dancing, but never actually seen it performed. It seems I have missed something.

Barb said...

Looks like a celebration of everything British there in MD, Lew! I like the idea of dancing like it matters.

EG CameraGirl said...

I hope the DOG DAYS are over now so we can enjoy the rest of summer. In spite of the heat, you took some fun photos.