Saturday, March 6, 2010

PhotoHunt - Andechs Monastery, Germany

In October 1972 a colleague and I were working at the satellite ground station in Raisting, Germany. One Sunday we took the ferry across the Ammersee to Herrsching, got a bite to eat and then followed the crowd up the hill from the harbor. A good number of people followed a path along the ridge out of town. We had walked a mile or more when we spotted this church in the distance. Eventually, we reached the Benedictine Abbey of Andechs where a band was playing, the Abbey's brewery was serving great beer along, with bread and wurst. This Baroque church was built in 1712, though the site goes back to the 10-th century. We looked around, enjoyed the beer and music; and then our two-mile walk back to the ferry. All in all, it was a delightful, sunny, warm day in this foreign land for two Americans. (Photos scanned from slides.)

8 comments:

Mrs. Mecomber said...

What a wonderful experience! I love the old German architecture.

My Photo Hunters is up. I hope you can take some time to take a peek. Happy weekend!

Rune Eide said...

I have not been in this part of Germany, but I clearly see that I should have been.

Susanne said...

A very nice distraction from work!

bonggamom said...

Beautiful photos and memories. I have not been to Germany for many years and I'd love to go back.

My photo hunt post:

http://bonggamom.blogspot.com/2010/03/foreign.html

Lisa said...

Wonderful -- thanks for sharing.

Carolyn Ford said...

This is so beautiful. I visited sights like this when I was in Germany many years ago.

Scott Law said...

Again this is one of those themes that can easily take so many directions. I just love good old memories like that. Great shots and perfect for the theme.

Unknown said...

That was a great experience and a beautiful structure. ;D


Solo
Travel and Living
Job Hunter