Monday, October 6, 2008

Bridges Between - Us and Frederick

The Monocacy river winds its way through Frederick County from Pennsylvania in the north to the Potomac River in the south, with many bridges along its path. The steel truss bridge above is one that I crossed almost daily for 25 years until I retired last year. It is the main crossing of the Monocacy River for the communities to the northeast of the city. About 10 years ago, the road was widened to four lanes and a new concrete span was built for eastbound traffic. For a much older bridge over the Monocacy, see my Legore Bridge post.

4 comments:

Katney said...

I miss some of the bridges that I commuted across. My commute the last six years was along the Yakima River and there was nearly always something interesting to see. But then, my recent retirement was sudden and not my idea. There are a lot of goodbyes I did not get to make.

Rune Eide said...

The new one may be more modern and take more cars, but the old ones was much nicer!

PERBS said...

It is interesting to see why bridges are built. The old one looks wonderful to me--it's too bad we have so much traffic today to require more. It is happening here also and within the next ten years, we will have a new mega multi lane bridge to take people between Vancouer and Portland by car, train and walking.

Drop by and see my different kind of bridge.

Unknown said...

Agree with Rune, the old ones was nicer. Nice captures both.

Have a nice week, Lew.