Although there were settlers in this part of Maryland in the early 1700's, the founding of Frederick City was by a German immigrant group led by Johann Thomas Schley in 1745. They also established a German Reformed Church (now the Evangelical Lutheran Church) and public school. In the late 1700's Pennsylvania Dutch (also originally from Germany) migrated south through Maryland and the Shenandoah Valley to Virginia and North Carolina. Many settled in the Frederick area. German was the language in those years and English did not become the major language until the Irish immigration after the potato famine. This German heritage is evident with street names and an official sister city connection with Morzheim and Schifferstadt.
Evangelical Luthern Church
The Schifferstadt house is the oldest house still standing in Frederick. It was built by Joseph Brunner in 1756 and named after his childhood home. It is now a museum.