The combination of the arch and truss makes for a more rigid structure than abridge with only one method of support.
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Bridges Between - Utica Mills Covered Bridge
This is the third covered bridge still in use on public roads in Frederick County. (Loy's Station and Roddy are the other two.) Utica Mills bridge was built in the 1850's over the Monocacy River. It was washed out during the storm of 1889 (famous for flooding Johnstown, PA). Local residents salavged the bridge and move it to its current location over Fishing Creek. Originally, it was a 100-foot Burr arch truss bridge, based on a 1804 design by Thedodore Burr. In the 1930's it was reinforced with steel beams and a concrete pier added. It underwent a major restoration in 1997.