Monday, June 2, 2008

Bridges Between - Royal Gorge Bridge

This suspension bridge spans the Arkansas River near Canon City, Colorado (southwest of Colorado Springs). The bridge was built in 1929, is 1,260 feet long, and is 1,053 feet above the river. Marianne and I were there in 1987. The bridge is part of a Park and per the web site includes more attractions than when we were there. We both took pictures there and neither of remembers who took which, so we both take credit for this post.

We walked across the bridge and rode the aeriel tram back, A thousand feet down to the river and the railroad. The tracks are cantilevered out over the river near the bridge (braces visible in the picture below).

There is an inclined railway to the bottom of the gorge. Below is the view of the bridge from the river.

16 comments:

Rune Eide said...

That seems to be not for the faint of heart! I would have loved to bring my camera to a place like that - including a large memory-card.

FANCY said...

OH...my...it give me dizziness...This was a good photo...Love it ;-P

My bridge is up to want you to know.:)

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

rune and fancy have already summed up my own feelings - would love it see it despite some trepidation.

9na said...

Spectacular!!

Daniel J Santos said...

fantastic, great perspectives.

imac said...

What a great bridge this is, sure is a drop down there,phew.
Great post.

Liv said...

This looks kind of scarey...

Anonymous said...

Spectacular! I doubt very much I would have been able to walk across though:)

Texas Travelers said...

Great post. When we lived closer, we used to visit almost yearly. It a great place for photography. Nice bridge shots.

BTW, I really like your masthead. I like to photograph halfdome in different light.

Our Bridge is Built.
Come visit,
Troy and Martha

Anne said...

WOW !! WHAT a bridge !!! and what a landscape !!!




(...but nok a bridge for me i think :-) I would have taken a swim insted...

Nice evening to you from me in the middle of Norway.

Nilla said...

Wonderful bridge, but I wouldnt pass it. I`m afraid of highes...

Have a nice summer evening out there.

FO - 2 said...

WOW!
Amazing bridge.
Amazing landscape!
Amazing pictures!
Great!

Anne-Berit said...

Wow,What a big bridge.It must be scary to look down from that bridge.Beautiful pictures.

Katney said...

My grandmother and aunt traveled to Royal Gorge many years ago and could not stop talking about it.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Yikes! Gives me vertigo just looking at them. Great pix.

Dina said...

You really give the feel of this bridge, from all the angles. We have and need nothing of this scale in little Israel, so I enjoyed your Royal Gorge all the more.