Monday, October 19, 2009

My World Tuesday - Catoctin Colorfest


On the 11-th I went to the Catoctin Colorfest in Thurmont, MD. This town of 6,000 residents, nestled on the edge of Catoctin Mountain, hosts about 150,000 people over a two-day festival every October. Around 350 artists, photographers, potters, woodworkers, jewelers, food vendors, etc attend to show and sell their handmade items. The center of town is closed to vehicle traffic and free shuttle buses are provided. Parking is provided at schools and businesses outside the festival area. Local churches, Scouts, fire department and businesses support the festival. The Colorfest Organization supports local community activities with proceeds from the festival. Some local residents also hold their yard sales on this weekend. I captured some of the color of the festival to share here.



I was told the crowd was larger on Saturday.

Only a few of the many food places.

There is a small light on top of the post.

I don't see hand made brooms anywhere else.

12 comments:

Erin said...

hi lew.
enjoyed this post very much. i drove through this area in august on my way to and from pennsylvania. saw a lot of things i would love to check out.
great captures.

Sylvia K said...

I love festivals like this! They're always so colorful, interesting and fun! Looks as though you had a great day and your photos are terrific -- really catch the "festival feel"! What a fun post, Lew!

Have a great week!

Sylvia

marcia@joyismygoal said...

What a fun day i too love festivals and all their bright colors to photograph you gave us some fun one:)

Snap said...

Hi Lew,
This post is wonderful ... one of my favorite things -- festivals! Love the frogs and the brooms!

eileeninmd said...

It looks like great fun and crowded. The arts and crafts look wonderful and make me wish i would have went. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

This looks like it was such a fun festival to attend! Wish I'd been there.

Tom said...

Hello Lew... I thought I would return your visit.... I'm so glad I did.. you have some beautiful postings... not just here but on your other blogs to... I came across a picture of yours called Footsteps in the snow... it really is a stunning photo.

I will link back here as theres some much of interest... and I have not had time to do your blog justice..

Tom

Louise said...

You certainly have lots of colorful events there!

Oman said...

wow. amazing shots. i would definitely have the time of my life there.

April said...

Oh that big umbrella is so cool. And those frogs are so cute. ;D Thanks for sharing pretty shots Lew. Have a great day ahead. ;D

April
Stories from a Teenage Mom
Mom on the Run
Chronicles of a Hermit

Anonymous said...

online Warcraft Warcraft Tips Playing Warcraft Online

Anonymous said...

Hey. I really like the blog. I submitted it to reddit and digg because i think more people need to read it! Also, I have a blog too if you want to check it out. It's called Zygor Leveling and it teaches World of Warcraft players how to level up to max level in 6 days. If you want you can check it out! Thanks again!